NoSenseWorrying.com

Chronicling the Yankees' season from my view in the bleachers.

April 12, 2006

Where was I?


Tuesday, April 11, 2006
Home Game 1
Yankees 9 Royals 7
Subway Race Winner: D train
Cap Game: #1




Picking up where I left off from Tuesday, we're on to introductions. So as everyone now knows, Bob Sheppard missed his first Opening Day since 1951. The guy who filled in did an ok job, but it's just not the same. I hope Bob is ok and can come back for the Baltimore series next week.

Everyone was wondering what kind of reception Damon would get. Where I was it was fairly mixed, mostly cheers though. Many remained silent. Bernie got the biggest ovation. There was a moment of silence before the anthem for West Point women's basketball coach Maggie Dixon, who suffered an arrhythmia heart episode and died last week. The anthem featured the annual unfurling of the giant flag and the fighter jet flyover.

Since everyone else already covered the game I'll end this with some random notes.

– I had mentioned that plastic bottle are banned from the Stadium this year. However, I just heard that they have lifted the ban because of too many complaints.
– Predictably but Mike Meyers comes out to the theme from Halloween. But it's still kinda cool. BTW, I'm pretty impressed with Meyers. I'll be even more impressed if he can handle Ortiz.
– Not much is new in the Stadium that I could see. But on the side scoreboards, when a Yankee comes to the plate they show a short video clip of the player. Looks like they used footage from the west coast trip. I'm sure they'll update them as the season goes on.

All in all, it was a great day at the Stadium. The worst part of the day was spending three and a half hours in the E/R for 2 stitches. (Here's the blood-stained scorecard and the ball from Mo. Don't look too closely at my scoring, I had a hard time keeping up that day.) Hopefully next Friday I'll have a clearer head and I'll be able to post a bit more about the game.

In attendance record: 1-0

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home