NoSenseWorrying.com

Chronicling the Yankees' season from my view in the bleachers.

August 10, 2005

You taught me the ways of desire, now it's takin' its toll

Wednesday, August 10, 2005
Home Game 57
White Sox 2 Yankees 1
Subway Race Winner: D train
Cap Game: WW




Well, at least I didn't have to go to work today. Although my boss did call me during the 8th (and I missed the double play turned by Jeter) and I also was given some freelance work for tonight.

I guess I can say I was lucky to see 2 pitchers' duels in a row. Unfortunately my beloved Bombers came out on the losing end once again. And once again their lack of depth on the bench is glaring. I never thought I would say that I miss Reuben Sierra. You never know when the pixie dust is going to wear off of Small. It's a shame that they squandered his performance.

1 run, 4 hits, 7 strike outs, 2 walks and a HBP. You can't ask for much more than that. The weird thing was that he only got 3 ground ball outs. The rest were fly balls or strike outs (including 3 of Podsednik). I see that his pitch count was up to 106, but I would've liked to have seen Small come out in the 8th. He had gotten the last 12 outs in a row. If he could get through another inning, you had Gordon for the 9th and fresh Mo for the 10th.

While the outcome of the game sucked, it was a nice day at the Stadium. The sun was out all day (in the 7th we cheered when a small cloud sailed by for a bit of relief). Day games during the week tend to have a different vibe. The crowd is usually a bit more subdued. Although some White Sox fans tried to start shit early in the game. By the 2nd inning the cops had them move seats for their own safety. The upper deck and left field bleachers were dotted with camp kids. (I wish the camps I went to as a kid took us to Yankee games.) It looked to be another sellout. For as lousy as this season has gone, I think they're on pace to hit 4 million in attendance this year.

As I said yesterday, I took my aunt (my dad's sister) to the game. As a teen, she used to go to games with my mom all the time. They would take the train from Jersey City and bought tickets at the gate, usually getting seats near the dugout. Nowadays you need to know someone to get that kind of view. After the game they used to hang out to wait for autographs. Back then you could just hang out near the players' lot (which was where the parking deck right outside of the Stadium is today). How cool would that have been? They apparently were fairly accommodating because the ball she has is filled with signatures.

Friday night is Hawaiian Shirt night in the bleachers. I'm off to Value City to see what kind of schlock I can find. I'll be at tomorrow night's game as well. As far as I know Proctor is still set to take the ball. Let's hope he continue the string of strong outings by the Yankee starters.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:40 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jen - do you keep track of their W-L in games you have been to? How are you doing this year?

     
  • At 11:27 PM EDT, Blogger Jen said…

    I'm 24-18.

     
  • At 3:10 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    nice work with the site. i find myself in an eerily similar situation--i'm a season ticket holder in section 37, and i've got my very own yankee blog. small world.

    you can never have too many yankee fans' opinions.

     
  • At 9:57 AM EDT, Blogger Jen said…

    Small world indeed. Thanks for the link.

     
  • At 10:04 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jen, at least you're over .500!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home