NoSenseWorrying.com

Chronicling the Yankees' season from my view in the bleachers.

July 30, 2006

It's too hot and I'm too tired to think of a title today.


Saturday, July 30, 2006
Home Game 52
Yankees 4 Devil Rays 2
Subway Race Winner: B train
Cap Game: WW




I woke up late today and didn't leave for the game until about 11:45. Not a good thing. Even though it was only the Devil Rays there was still a packed house of 54,000. By the time I got to my seat it was the bottom of the first. At least I didn't miss much.

It seems like we've had clear skies for every Sunday game this year. Although they haven't all been this hot. Being as that I was late I didn't have time to get my usual 2 liters of water before the game. So I was stuck paying through the nose for some liquid refreshments. Luckily it was a fairly short game.

The Yanks scored first in the bottom of the 3rd. Cairo hit a one-out single. Damon then followed with another single. And they both scored on a Jeter double.

Tampa came back in the top of the 4th with 2 runs of their own. At this point I thought we would see a slug-fest. But Moose pitched great the rest of the way and only gave up 1 hit in the next 3 innings. His line for the day was 7IP 5H 2R 2BB 8K. Not too shabby.

Most of the Yankee bats were silent for the rest of the game. (If fans are tired of booing A-Rod, may I suggest they turn their attention to Giambi. Lately it seems like if he isn't hitting a home run, he isn't hitting at all.) The only Yankees to get a hit after the 4th inning were Guiel and Damon, whose last 2 hits proved to be the difference in the game. Guiel led off the 4th with a single but was caught stealing. He hit a rather odd ground rule double in 6th. It was a high pop fly towards the line in shallow left. The left fielder, third baseman, and shortstop ran to the ball but it dropped in (I think the LF lost it in the sun). It looked like it dropped right on the line and bounced into the stands. By the time the ball bounced Guiel was heading for second. If the ball stayed fair he probably could have made it to third because no one was covering.

In the 5th Damon (3-4 on the day) hit a home run into the upper deck in right field to break the tie. Two innings later he hit another shot into the upper deck to make it 4-2. And that's how the score remained. Farnsworth pitched the 8th, striking out the side (and throwing a walk in there too). Mo pitched the 9th to close out the game.

On my way into the Bronx this morning I heard on the radio that the Yanks were close to trading for Abreu. I didn't hear anything about who was going to Philly in return, but on the pre-game, Waldman was certain that Scott Proctor wasn't part of the deal. People in the bleachers kept checking their cell phones to find out what was going on. Around the 4th inning a woman behind me said that the deal had gone through. All she had heard was Abreu and Lidle for Matt Smith and some other prospects. I'm liking this deal very much. I'm really not worried about all of the talk of Abreu dogging it in the field. I think he'll do well here. He's not expected to be the best on the team. He's got a shorter porch in right field to work with. He can't be any worse in the field than Bernie (and I hear he has a pretty good arm). He already has an apartment in New York in the same building as Damon. And he'll be back with Bowa, who speaks highly of the guy. Although he will have to fight Larry to get his number 53.

In attendance record: 21-13

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home