NoSenseWorrying.com

Chronicling the Yankees' season from my view in the bleachers.

July 15, 2006

The Boys Are Back in Town


Friday, July 14, 2006
Home Game 44
Yankees 6 White Sox 5
Subway Race Winner: 4 train
Cap Game: #1




Well, this post got done later than I had hoped. It was nice to see some Yankee baseball again, and even nicer to do so at the Stadium. What better way to start the second half than with a Friday night game against the defending World Series champs. The only bad part of these night games at this time of the year is that the sun is your eyes a lot longer. Watching batting practice can be hazardous if you're not careful.

I scored a couple extra tickets so my brother, his wife, and his friend from work came with me. The crowd was in somewhat of a lull in the beginning, which I attribute to the heat. We'd get a nice breeze once in a while, but for the most part there was little relief. Thank god they lifted that "no outside drinks allowed" policy early in the season. I already have water in my freezer for tomorrow's game.

Crede's 2nd inning, one out homer came rather quickly. It was the kind you barely had time to react to. It seems like when his stuff is off he'll struggle after giving up a homer, but Randy sat the next 2 batters down. I had confidence that he would continue to pitch a good game. Contreras also had a solid outing. He definitely isn't the same Jose that we saw in the Bronx. And while I was rooting against him last night, I am happy that he has found success. I always liked the guy and I wished he could've made it in New York.

I was also impressed with Aaron Guiel. I don't expect him to put up Sheffield or Matsui numbers, but I like how he plays. He did a great job of breaking up a potential double play in the 3rd. And he was the subject of 2 predictions made last night. He led off the 3rd inning and I turned to my brother and said "This would good time to break up the no-hitter." Four pitches later, Guiel singles to right. In the 6th inning, with the game tied at 2, Guiel comes to the plate with 1 out. My brother says "You know, the new guys that come to the Yankees always seem to have that one big moment." The words barely left his mouth, and Guiel put one into the seats in right field.

Actually my brother was 2-for-2 on the night. In the 8th, Melky knocked a single into center to score A-Rod and break the tie. Cairo hit a sac-fly to add on another run. My brother said, "Watch Damon hit a double now after not doing anything all night." And so he did, knocking in one more run to make it 6-3. And thank god he did because that run was needed.

Mo gave up 3 straight singles in the 9th, none of which were hit particularly hard. Thome lead off with a bloop single to center. If Damon was playing in a step or 2 he could've caught it. I still don't understand why the outfield doesn't play in a few steps with Mo on the mound. Batters rarely hit the ball hard off of him. It seems most hits he gives up are bloops into the outfield. With the bases loaded, he got Podsednik to ground out to first, scoring a run. Then Uribe hit a sac fly to right to score another. Bubba (defensive replacement for Bernie) made an outstanding catch, crashing into the side wall. With the score now 6-5, the Sox send Pierzynski in to pinch hit with the tying run on 3rd. The at-bat was excruciating. I think he broke 2 or 3 bats during it. I was getting a bit nervous because he seemed to be locked in on Mo. I could just see another bloop hit coming. But after 7 straight foul balls he hit a pop fly to Bubba in right (and promptly threw down his bat in disgust. I love it when jerks like him get upset.) Ball game over and fists pump everywhere in the bleachers. Number 399 for Mo. I was hoping today would be a blow out so I could see Mo get to 400. Now let's just hope that they give him the opportunity tomorrow.


In attendance record: 16-13

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home