NoSenseWorrying.com

Chronicling the Yankees' season from my view in the bleachers.

June 22, 2006

Hot & Bothered

Well, this week didn't quite go as planned. Since tomorrow kicks off 5 straight days at the Stadium for me I'll try to condense the 2 Nationals games into some highlights that are in no particular order. I can't read my notes all that well because the score card that they sell has a dark blue background in the margins. Kinda hard to read stuff written in pencil.


Saturday, June 17, 2006
Away Game 32
Nationals 11 Yankees 9
Presidents Race Winner: George Washington
Capitol Dome Game: WW




– The rest of my family took a walk down to the Smithsonian museums on the National Mall while I hit the Metro to get to RFK early. Coming off of the train there were a couple of Yankee fans that recognized me from the Stadium. I felt bad that I didn't recognize any of them, but I'll look out for them next time.

– I love watching batting practice. And at RFK, they left you go down to the box seats to watch (at the Stadium you need to have a ticket in order to get down that close.) A bunch of players were wearing their socks high for BP. Not quite sure why. A-Rod got some cheers every time he stepped into the cage. He was swinging the bat really well. Donnie was outside the cage nodding with approval. I like to think he's poised for a tear.

Our seats were in the 5th row of the upper deck in left field, in foul territory. The view wasn't too bad, although the sun was brutal. RFK isn't a bad place to watch a game. There's definitely room for improvement as far amenities go. (Not enough concession stands on the Mezzanine level. Not enough souvenir stands above the first level.) But I'm sure they're not gonna go gung ho until the new place opens.

– Spike Lee was at the game. My brother always thought he was a Mets fan.

– As for the game itself, that was brutal. Just agonizing to watch. There were some good things that happened. But they were outweighed by the oh so bad.

– My nephew's streak of seeing the Yankees win ended.

– One of the more frustrating things about these road trips is that I don't have internet access. And the hotels don't carry YES. So we had no clue what was going on with Farnsworth. I thought the worst when TJ Beam came in (for his major league debut) to pitch the 6th (I thought they should of let Smith go another inning). Someone had to be either sent down or DL'd to make room for him. I saw Kevin Thompson take batting practice so I figured Farnsworth was put on the DL. It wasn't until the next day that someone told us the Small was DFA'd.

It was a pleasant surprise to see Beam. Well, it wasn't pleasant to see him give up 2 runs. But I got to see him pitch at Staten Island in 2004. So it was neat to see him make his debut 2 years later. I saw him pitch against the Cyclones in Brooklyn that year. They lost 1-0. He pitched a helluva game though, going the complete 8 innings, with 4 hits, 1 run, 0 walks and 7 Ks.

– Seems like every ballpark has a race of some sort. Whether it's a live-action race with people dressed like cure meat or a race on the video screen, like the subway race at the Stadium. Well, at RFK they have a Presidents Race, featuring the 4 guys on Mount Rushmore in 3-d animated form. On Saturday Washington won.

– After dinner back at the hotel we drove down to where the war memorials are on the Mall. The last time I was there was in 1984. I only remember this because we were in DC during the opening cermonies of the LA Olympics. My mom wanted to go to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial to find the name of a friend of hers. From there the path led to the Korean War Veterans Memorial, which is rather hauntingly beautiful. Before we left we hit the National World War II Memorial, which was very nicely done.

In attendance record: 10-9

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home