NoSenseWorrying.com

Chronicling the Yankees' season from my view in the bleachers.

September 02, 2006

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'


Friday, September 1, 2006
Home Game 66
Yankees 8 Twins 1
Subway Race Winner: D train
Cap Game: #2




So, uh, A-Rod had another pretty good night at the plate, huh? I don't want to say "he's gonna go on a tear now" 'cause it seems like every time I do he goes right back to where he started. But, he's looking pretty damn good at the plate and on the field (I'm thinking his new glove is helping a bit, even if it's only psychological). I'm glad he didn't come out for a curtain call after the first home run. Curtain calls have gotten way out of hand. I had no problem with him coming out after the second one though. I think curtain calls for multi-dingers are ok. They're also ok for milestone dingers or one that ties or puts them ahead late in the game.

There was a very nice couple sitting behind me tonight. Tom and Denise, from RI and CT respectively. (And I'm not just saying they were nice because Tom may be reading this.) Tom shared a few of his stories from when he was a journalist (or maybe he was a broadcaster. My short-term memory ain't so good these days). He covered the 1980 Series, that much I remember. Anyway, it was nice talking to them throughout the game. It was Denise's first trip to the Stadium. It's always cool seeing someone experience the Stadium for the first time. And she seemed to enjoy herself, which made it even better. Too bad the weather was lousy and they had to leave early.

All in all, it was good game. Lidle pitched well. As did Bruney. Dotel wasn't that sharp, but he worked his way through it. One thing I do like about Bruney and Dotel is that they wear their socks up (would be even better if they wore stirrups too).

I can't see them getting tomorrow's game in. This is the only trip to the Bronx for the Twins so I guess they would have to have a day/night double header on Sunday.

Random Notes
- It was Mickey Mantle Bronze Statuette Night. Since my mom is a huge Mantle fan and I had an extra ticket, I re-entered the Stadium so I could get 2 statuettes. They say attendance was over 54,000, but it didn't look like it. I would bet that a lot of people got their statuette and left. Actually, I know this to be true, but there was a guy outside of the gate with a garbage bag full of them and tickets in his hand trying to get people to go inside and get him more. I'll have to check ebay tomorrow to see how many of them are on there.

- "Mambo Italiano" has become Sal Fasano's theme song. Whenever he gets a hit they play it over the PA. They also played it tonight when they announced that he was in the game in the top of the 9th.

- The flags are at half-staff in honor of the firefighters that died recently.

- My best wishes go out to Jon Lester who was diagnosed with a form of lymphoma. It sounds like it's very treatable so hopefully he'll be able to make a full recovery.

In attendance record: 25-16

Correction: Tom informed me that he covered the 1981 ALCS and World Series games for WICH-AM Radio in Norwich, CT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home