NoSenseWorrying.com

Chronicling the Yankees' season from my view in the bleachers.

August 25, 2005

And don't you know it's a beautiful new day


Thursday, August 25, 2005
Home Game 65
Yankees 6 Blue Jays 2
Subway Race Winner: WW
Cap Game: #3




What a glorious day for a game. I think I saw maybe 2 clouds in the sky all day (which I'm sure Escalona was grateful, since it lead to his lone hit of the day.) Big win for the Yanks today, taking the final game of a 4-game series against the birds from up north. (I guess right now, every win is a big win.)

"You've got a mess you made yourself. You've got to work out of it."

Did I ever mention how much I like... no make that love, Shawn Chacon? He made a mess and was able to clean it up himself. After loading the bases and walking in a run in the 3rd he was able to get out of the inning without imploding. He loaded them up in the 6th again with one out, but struck out the top of the order to once again get himself out of trouble. He didn't have his best stuff today, by any means, yet he was able to keep the Jays to only 2 runs through 7 innings. The Yankees got him an early 4-run lead with 2 blasts from Sheff and A-Rod. Good thing they got on the board early because Mr. Roboto shut them down until the 6th, when Posada doubled, Jeter knocked him in with a triple, and Matsui knocked Jeter in with a single.

There were some nice plays in the field today too. Escalona (playing 2nd to give Cano a rest) made a sweet grab in the 2nd. He also had a nice sac bunt. If he was a little faster he may have gotten a hit out of that. Sheff had a great sliding catch in the 7th. Posada also made a nice play on a dribbler in front of the plate in the 9th.

My dad went with me today. Right after we argued about having Matsui bat second (I'm all for it, he's not), Jeter and Hideki smacked a couple of singles and Sheff knocked them in with his long overdue blast to left. I guess Joe finally realizes that his hot hitters should be getting more at-bats.

I guess Gordon's urethra is feeling better. He shut down the Jays in the 8th. And Mo came in and finished them off in the 9th. We had a perfect ending to a beautiful day with a trip to Callahan's.

I love weekday day games (and not just because it gives me an excuse to take a day off work). And sadly this was the last one of the 2005 season. Anyway, here's to hoping that Royals can steal another one from the BoSox and then go into another slide when they come to the Bronx tomorrow.

5 Comments:

  • At 8:45 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ask and ye shall receive, Jen - Royals won last night, now we just need that slide to start today.

     
  • At 11:48 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    All my Fort Lee connections tell me that you have to have a dog at Callahan's. Are they that good?

    Most of the same crew told me that I had to eat at White Manna. It was fun, but only until about an hour later.

     
  • At 1:16 AM EDT, Blogger Jen said…

    Yes, very good. I haven't been to the one in Fort Lee. The other one is on 46 in Little Ferry. It's on the way home from the stadium so we sometimes stop on the weekends for an early dinner.

    I have yet to eat at the White Mana in JC or the White Manna in Hackensack. One of these days I suppose.

     
  • At 8:30 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The one in Hackensack is very small. And, I hear it's always packed. It was SRO when I went there for lunch.

     
  • At 8:34 PM EDT, Blogger Jen said…

    Yeah, I used to pass the one in Hackensack all the time going to the Irish pub down the block. (Which I highly recommend if you're looking for a well poured Guinness. But only during the week. The weekend crew isn't as good at it)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home