NoSenseWorrying.com

Chronicling the Yankees' season from my view in the bleachers.

September 11, 2005

Afternoon Delight.


Sunday, September 11, 2005
Home Game 74
Yankees 1 Red Sox 0
Subway Race Winner: WW
Cap Game: WW




Last night I was exchanging emails with a friend who's a Red Sox fan. He said that Wakefield is either on, or way off. Well, he was on today (striking out 12.) But he threw one bad pitch to Giambi in the first inning, who looped it over the right field wall for his 29th dinger on the year. And that was all the Yankees would need to take the rubber game of the series.

Johnson (who turned 42 yesterday) pitched a gem himself, allowing only 1 hit and 2 walks while striking out 8. Even from where I was sitting, he looked like he had that same fire in his eyes that he did for the Seattle game two starts ago. Too bad Randy wasn't like this earlier in the season. But what's done is done and we can only hope that he pitches like this the rest of the way.

I wish there were more games like the one this afternoon. All that "chicks dig the long ball" crap is just, well, crap. Give me a good pitcher's duel any day. Those 1-run games where no one on either team is knocking the cover off the ball and every batter that finds his way on-base is crucial. Where you hold your breath on every pitch. And you think back to missed opportunities and wonder if it will doom your team in the end (like the failure to get Bubba home after his 1-out triple in the 3rd.)

The first real tension of the day came in the top of the 8th. Much to our dismay, Gordon started the inning in relief of Johnson. My brother and I figured that Ortiz would pinch-hit at some point, with Johnson now out of the game. Looking at my scorecard I figured it would be for Capler. After Graffanino singled to lead-off, Mirabelli hit a high fly ball in the infield. Cano and Jeter did their best keystone cops impression and the ball dropped in. But it took a high bounce and A-Rod was able to throw to Cano at second for the force. Mueller (who shames Muellers and Mullers and Müllers everywhere by pronouncing his name Miller) flied to left for the second out. Sure enough, with Capler due up next, the BoSox send up Ortiz. At this point Mo was already warming up in the pen. Mel came out to stall for some more time. And a few seconds after he went back to the dug out Joe came out to make the change.

It was one of the most dramatic moments I've seen all year. All 55,000 of us were standing, wait for that opening riff. And then the Sandman entered. Mo worked a 3-2 count before walking Ortiz on 7 pitches. (It must be noted though, that Mo broke Papi's bat on a checked swing) Now, with runners on first and second, Damon was at the plate. Again the count went to 3-2 and after 9 pitches Johnny grounded out to Giambi to end the inning.

Wakefield pitched the 8th and only needed 7 pitches to get 3 pop outs (one to each outfielder). On to the top of the 9th. Mo got 2 quick outs. The first was a liner right up the middle that was snagged by Mo (a sure single if he doesn't make that play.) With Nixon at the plate hitting for Youkilis, I was reminded of what my Red Sox friend said: Other than
Ortiz I'd rather have trot up than just about anyone else. (except maybe john olerud...damn he's been a good hitter)
So, I was a little nervous to see him up there. But, Mo got him to ground out to Phillips (who came in for Giambi.) Mo walked Manny. A few of those balls were questionable (but then again, I'm 450 ft. away so they may have really been ball.) Millar then hits a single, sending Manny to third. At this point, it's apparent that the play by Mo probably saved the game. Boston then sends up Olerud to pinch hit. My stomach was turning. I couldn't do anything but chew on my pencil. But, struck him out to end the game. To say this win was huge is an understatement.

Random Notes
- Surprisingly, the Yankees didn't do a whole lot for the 9/11 anniversary. Bob Sheppard made note of it before the anthem. The West Point Cadet color guard was there. And a woman from the academy sang the anthem. But I was expecting Ronan Tynan (who sang on Friday night) and maybe a ceremonial first pitch. I'm not saying I'm disappointed, but a little surprised.

- Even my brother noticed that there weren't as many Boston fans in attendance as there were for the first series in the April. I'm not at all disappointed about that :-)

- In an effort to reverse some karma, I gave some money to the homeless guy I pass on the way to the Stadium every day. If you take the lower level of the bridge and go towards the Deegan/Cross Bronx Expressway, he always stands on the curve next to the left-hand concrete barrier, leading to where the traffic from the upper level merges in (sorry, that's the best way I can explain it). Anyway, he's there almost every day. He seems to have a substitute fill in for him when he's not there. They use the same "Hungry and Homeless. God Bless" sign. Today I gave him dollar. (A few cars ahead of me, they gave him a bag of bagels.) Personally I think there's something to be said for his perserverance.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:34 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm always disappointed when the good doctor doesn't sing. I never liked Kate Smith and the particular recording they use is awful. Hasn't she been dead for about 20 years anyway? Not to take anything away from Ronan Tynan, though.

     
  • At 10:40 AM EDT, Blogger Jen said…

    The problem I have with the Kate Smith recording is that it's associated with Philly. Just doesn't seem right to hear it in New York every day.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home