NoSenseWorrying.com

Chronicling the Yankees' season from my view in the bleachers.

September 23, 2005

Friday I'm in Love.


Friday, September 23, 2005
Home Game 79
Yankees 5 Blue Jays 0
Subway Race Winner: 4 train
Cap Game: #2




I said it once, I'll say it again. I ♥ Shawn Chacón.

8 innings. 3 hits. 3K. 1BB. 1HPB. 0 runs.

The Yankees have an AL leading 14 shut outs on the year. Chacón has started 3 of them (2 in his last 2 starts) going 8 innings in each. He was like an antacid tonight, settling the anxiety that has been bubbling in our guts all week.

Jeter lead off the bottom of the 1st with an opposite field dinger. Cano followed with another opposite field shot. The Yankees would score 2 more runs in that inning, and tack on another in the 7th. They had a few more chances to score, but didn't capitalize on them. Normally this would concern me. But not tonight. You just had that feeling that they would not lose this game. There were a couple of key defensive plays tonight too. Matsui had a sweet over-the-head catch in the 3rd to save a run. And Bubba made a beautiful diving catch in the 9th on a Wells blooper. He did a forward dive and was able to get his hand on top of his glove to prevent the ball from popping out on impact. Proctor put a couple of men on after that, so it turned out to be a huge play. But even when Scott struggled a bit, for some reason I just knew he would get out of it.

It was just plain fun to be at the park tonight. It was one of those games were you didn't have to hang on every pitch. There's a guy who sits a couple rows in front of me Friday. We usually end of talking baseball during down times throughout the game. With such a loose mood in stands tonight, our conversation read like a Bronx Banter game thread. Very much enjoyable. If (god willing) they go to the playoffs I hope the kid is able to snag some tickets in our section.

Vernon Wells was getting ribbed all night. But I actually think he gets a kick out of it. He's the only guy I've seen actually turn around an acknowledge us.

Oh, and Steve, I'm sure the bleachers at least will do something for Bernie. He was getting much love tonight, especially in the 9th.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:25 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Holy Crap! Judging from your photos I must have been sitting next to you the whole game.

     
  • At 10:32 AM EDT, Blogger Jen said…

    Maybe. I had a blue Cano t-shirt on last night.

     
  • At 11:13 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What(?), and not a WasWatching shirt! Just kidding!

    What were they doing for Bernie - I thought I heard some cheers on the YES mike?

     
  • At 5:55 PM EDT, Blogger Jen said…

    There was a chant that the regulars were doing but I couldn't make it out. There were a few "Ber-nie Wil-liams" as well. They also include him in the Gangbang Song.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home