NoSenseWorrying.com

Chronicling the Yankees' season from my view in the bleachers.

September 20, 2005

Pizza Pizza.


Sunday, September 18, 2005
Rogers Centre - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Road Game 74
Blue Jays 6 Yankees 5
Staples Truck Race: Level 500




We hit Casa Loma Sunday morning before the game. Very cool. A lot of climbing though, especially for those (like me) who are fat and lazy. We got to the game about an hour before it started and sat on the first base side in the 200 level (which is like the Loge at the Stadium). Nice view. Cushy seats. Good beer. Not so good game.

Unlike Saturday, we were in enemy territory. No one was really all that bad. There was a group of guys (looked to be early in their early 20s) who made a point of telling us the score every time they went to get beer. Didn't bother me too much. They weren't too loud, just smug. I finally asked the one guy (who was especially chatty) what the standings where. He didn't respond. They really bothered my mom though. The final time they got up my mom waited a minute before letting them pass. Then she gently nudged each of them with her elbow. She felt their comments were unprovoked. (We weren't especially loud in our cheering, keeping it to mainly clapping when the Yanks did something good. I think the only time we stood was when Jeter hit his homer.) I told her that the mere fact that we were all wearing Yankee shirts of some sort was provocation enough and it was to be expecteed. We were treated much better than I've seen some fans of other teams treated at the Stadium. Those guy weren't hostile, just obnoxious.

My dad blamed Jeter for blowing the game (the failure to turn the double play and of course striking out to end the game.) My mom blamed Embree (she hates him to begin with. She also thinks that the pitcher who gives up the eventual game winning run should get the loss.) I blame Rueben. There were a couple hits (that lead to runs) I thought a more competent right fielder would be able to catch. Not matter who's fault it was, they lost the game and the opportunity to gain a game on the BoSox who got pummeled that day.

The Jays had 2 promotional gimmicks on Sunday. One was a car giveaway. The other was something they do every Friday and Saturday. If the Jays pitchers (not just the starter, but a combo of all pitchers) strike out 7 batters everyone in the stadium gets a free slice of pizza from Pizza Pizza. In the beginning of the game my dad said there was no way Lilly would strike out 7 batters. He came close with 6Ks. After #6, anytime Ted got 2 strikes on a batter the crowd started to chant "Piz-za. Piz-za." Nothing like cheering on your favorite food team.

After the game we hit the CN Tower. It was a clear day so the views were spectacular.

Despite the loss on Sunday it was still a great trip. The stadium is very nice. It's clean. Lots of concessions. Wide concourses. Very easy to enter and leave the building. The city of Toronto is great. There was a lot to do besides the games. I think we'll be making another trip up there in the near future.

More pics from Sunday's game here. Other Toronto pics here.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:20 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What, a shot of M&D, I assume, below, but nothing with the author of NSW?

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goddam/45058122/in/set-984857/

     
  • At 12:32 AM EDT, Blogger Jen said…

    Yes, that's the folks (and my aunt is in a picture in the Sunday game set). I'm not one for having my picture taken. Although if you search hard enough you can find me on flickr in a couple places :-)

     
  • At 10:24 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think I found you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home