NoSenseWorrying.com

Chronicling the Yankees' season from my view in the bleachers.

September 21, 2005

Randy being Randy.


Wednesday, September 21, 2005
Home Game 77
Yankees 2 Orioles 1
Subway Race Winner: D train
Cap Game: #3




Holy crap. The hairs on my arms are still raised.

Another stellar night for Randy. He went 8 strong innings allowing only 1 run on 3 hits and a walk. Unfortunately the Yanks could only put 2 runs up on the board (courtesy of a 2-run dinger by the slumping Matt Lawton) and Joe had to once again go to Mo in the 9th. It was one of those games that just made you sick with excitement/anxiety.

In the 5th Jeter made a nice diving stop (to his left no less) but his throw to first was high and offline. Giambi made a nice reach for the ball, preventing it from going into the stands. It took a minute or so before the official scoring decision was made. At this point Johnson still had a no-hitter going. We all held our breath hoping that an "1" would go up under the Yankees "E" column. When it did the was a hearty cheer from the crowd. However, the next batter singled up to right-center to break up no-no. But Matos grounded into a 6-6-3 double play, which was aided by a nice stretch from Giambi at first. With that play combined with catch on the throwing error, I wrote in my notes that one of these days Jeter will but Jason in traction. Sure enough Tino went into the game in the top of the 6th. In the post-game Waldman said the Giambi has been playing with a sore back for a while. But with Sheff having to DH, Jason's had to play first. I'm hoping he gets a day off tomorrow. Tino has been swinging the bat well the past couple of days. And with Phillips around now, you can always use Giambi as a bat off the bench if needed.

A-Rod had another 3K game at the plate. Once again, he atoned for that by making 2 nice plays in the 6th. On one he stopped a shot down the line, holding Castro to a single (although he would come around to score on Mora's double into center.) But later in the inning he saved a run (and probably the game.) With 2 outs and Mora on third, he went to his knees and snagged a grounder to his left side, and gunned down Lopez at first for the final out of the inning. With all the buzz surrounding the AL MVP, I hope the voters take plays like that into consideration. I can think of at least 3 or 4 times where Alex made game-saving plays.

Tonight's game wasn't on my ticket plan. But I decided a couple weeks ago that I needed to go to this game. With the pennant race being so close I didn't want to miss a thing. I still sat in the bleachers, but in Section 43 this time. The crowd wasn't quite as into it as the folks a on the other side (many of them actually did the fucking wave when it came around in the 8th.) But the view over there is excellent. You can see right into the bull pen. And you're practically behind the pitcher. I got a great view of the movement on Johnson's fastball. Amazing shit he throws. Plus you can see the Diamond Vision and pitch speed/counter.

Random Notes
- The ceremonial first pitch was thrown by Bethany Hamilton, the surfer girl that got her arm bit off by a shark. Apparently she's a big Yankee fan. The crowd gave her a nice ovation and she made a decent throw to the plate.

- In the bottom of the 3rd Tanyon Sturtze got up in the pen to throw. The woman sitting next to me was worried that there was something wrong with Randy and he had to come out of the game. But then I saw Neil Allen instructing Sturtze on his arm slot and things of that nature. So I guess he was just doing a bit of mechanics work.

- If you superimpose this pic and this pic of Mo, his body is in the exact same position.

- As Frank was playing over the PA and the crowd was filing out to the exits, I heard someone say that Tampa went up 6-4. Then I heard a roar from the remaining fans. I turned around, and they posted the score on the big screen. Much jubilation ensued. Out on River Ave. you would've thought it was already the playoffs. What a way to cap off the night.

Now is not the time to celebrate though. They need to hold serve between now and the final series in Beantown. And from the quotes I've heard, the Yankees know it. So Steve, I see your Deborah Van Valkenburgh and raise you a Valerie Bertinelli.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:01 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    One day at a time, indeed!

     
  • At 2:16 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Looks like you were sitting only a few rows away, I was in 55, I recognize the jewish kids in your pics. I was thinking of a previous post of yours when the wave was going around. My buddy and I sat there in protest. Did you catch the guy in the Boston jersey? I wish he had stuck around until the end. The place went nuts when they showed the score. It was my first game since moving here last month, awesome! Now I'm searching Craigslist to try and get tickets for tomorrow night, already got tix for Sunday, bleecher 37!

     
  • At 2:24 PM EDT, Blogger Jen said…

    I saw a guy in a Boston shirt getting razzed in the left field bleachers (I was on the right field side in 43) is that who you're talking about?

    Glad you got to see a good game. And good luck getting tickets. I'll be back in my regular seats for the rest of the week, including Sunday, in Sec. 39.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home