NoSenseWorrying.com

Chronicling the Yankees' season from my view in the bleachers.

October 01, 2006

Second Annual Bernie Williams Appreciation Day


Sunday, October 1, 2006
Home Game 81
Blue Jays 7 Yankees 5
Subway Race Winner: WW
Cap Game: #1




It wasn't as dramatic as last year's love-fest due to the fact that Bernie was manager for the day. But fans still showed him some love throughout the afternoon. Once again, players and coaches recorded messages thanking fans for their support throughout the season. Bernie, of course, got the loudest applause when he appeared on the Diamond Vision. He was also included in roll call. This time he was a little quicker to the top step, as opposed to Opening Day, when he had to be coaxed out of the dugout. We were wondering if he would put himself into the game. But I guess Torre made that decision for him. In the 9th, I could see him in the dugout, reaching for a batting helmet. When Nieves came to bat with 1 out, Bernie popped out of the dugout and the crowd started to cheer. Poor Will. Don't think anyone was even watching his at bat. We just wanted Bernie to get to the plate. After Nieves struck out and Bernie made his way to the plate, everyone rose to their feet. The place went nuts when he hit that double, which on the Encore looked playable, but Wells and Rios miscommunicated or something. But that didn't matter. Posada got the ball back to keep it for Bernie in case this was, in fact his last hit at the Stadium as a Yankee. I like to think that if the Yanks win it all, he'll retire and go out on top.

I was hoping that Wright would have a better showing. But I still feel like he's going to do something special in the post-season. Same thing for Farnsworth, although I'm less sure about his post-season showing. Overall, I have a good feeling about this year. Which may be a good thing, since I had a bad hunch about last year.

Random Notes
– One of the times Cano came to bat, my brother made a remark that he has gone down a couple notches in his book because he was coming to the plate to a Justin Timberlake song. I told my brother that he himself had gone down a couple notches to me because he actually knew that it was a Justin Timberlake song.

– Don't think I'll be sleeping much Monday night or getting much work done on Tuesday. This time of year is like Christmas, 'cept better.

Final in attendance record (regular season)
Overall: 32-22
Home: 32-19
Road: 0-3 (ouch)
Winning percentage: .593

Not quite as good as last year. But I didn't go to as many games. I'm going to attempt to work out some splits at some point.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:14 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great title, Jen.

    And who is this Justin Timberland fellow?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home